Simple Guidance For You In Michigan Secure Transport License.
If you want to drive a big rig in the United States legally, you must get your Michigan Secure Transport License. This article provides simple guidance on how to go about getting the license. The Michigan Secure Transportation Law was created back in 2009 to license truck drivers and independent contractors delivering goods across state lines. The law states that every person who transports loads over 12,000 lbs must have an MSWTL issued by their state of employment at the time of transportation (including any licensed drivers). It also requires that an applicant gets fingerprinted before applying for the credential. Once you have your MSWTL, you will be able to drive a big rig and haul freight across state lines.
Michigan Secure Transport License Requirements
The requirements for getting your MSWTL are pretty standard. It would help if you had a valid “CLP” (Commercial Driver’s License), no pending moving or out-of-service violations within the previous 60 days, and fingerprinted. At this writing, you can get fingerprinted by going to one of two places. The Michigan State Police Apprenticeship & Training Bureau or one of eight Michigan counties that offer criminal history services. The fee is $25 per card (which you will need to apply for a CLP behind the wheel), and it can take up to six weeks to process your application.
Michigan Secure Transport License Application Process
The application process for your MSWTL is also pretty standard. Be sure to fill out the form completely and have a signed copy of your CLP in hand when you begin. There is a $25 application fee as well. Once you have the MSWTL, it is good for five years. When it expires, it is up to you to renew. This process will take about three weeks or so, and you must mail in the form along with the payment. If you do not receive your new card within 45 days, please contact the Michigan State Police Apprenticeship & Training Bureau as soon as possible.
What are the benefits of a Michigan Secure Transport License?
The benefits of having a secure transportation license are:
- 1) The Michigan Secure Transport License (MSWTL) allows you to transport loads of 12,000 lbs. and up across state lines, allowing you to haul freight legally.
- 2) A Michigan Secure Transport License lets you drive most big rigs (except for 18 wheelers and tankers).
- 3) A Michigan Secure Transport License helps you gain experience with the rig and valid skills that can help in your career.
- 4) Having an MSWTL is a step towards getting your Class A Commercial Driver’s License from the Department of State. The MSWTL also has a 10-year expiration date, so it will take about five years before you need to get a new card.
Why Should I Get Michigan Secure Transport License?
Safety starts with education, so if you are thinking about getting your MSWTL, here are ten reasons you should get it from this article.
1) The Michigan Secure Transport License is the first step to getting your Class A Commercial Driver’s License. Many of the skills you will gain from getting an MSWTL will transfer over to the CCDL exam and help you pass faster.
2) Having a Michigan Secure Transport license helps you gain experience with the rig and valid skills that can help your career.
3) You can get a Michigan Transport License at 17 years old by getting your Class D Learner’s Permit (LRP) for 12 months. Becoming an experienced driver or independent contractor can do wonders for your resume, and it is one path toward getting a CCDL license.
4) Having MSWTL lets you drive most large trucks in Michigan (except for 18 wheelers and tankers). This is a great way to gain experience with the big rigs and be a part of the industry.
5) MSWTL is also a step towards getting your Class A Commercial Driver’s License. When you get your MSWTL, you can complete your road test and get your Class A CDL license in about five years.
The Michigan Secure Transport License is a great credential for truck drive. If you have your MSWTL, you can legally haul freight and show it off on your resume. The experience you gain by driving a big rig will also help you get your Class A CDL, which is the pinnacle of any commercial driver’s license and should be a goal for all drivers out there. The bottom line is that a Michigan Secure Transportation License means opportunities for you in the future as a commercial driver or independent contractor delivering goods across state lines.